Until recent years, Calvert County was a rural area with dusty narrow roads, acres of planted fields, and far from everything. Although Southern Maryland was the first part of the original thirteen colonies to be settled by Roman Catholics (as early as 1634), Catholicism in Calvert County had a long and difficult path to follow. By 1706 there were 3,611 people living in our county but only 48 were Catholics.
Father Maurice B. Alexander, pastor of Our Lady Star of the Sea in Solomons, started our parish as a mission in the late 1920’s. In 1937 our Church was built. Following Father Alexander’s death in 1946, a succession of short term pastors served both Our Lady Star of the Sea and the Prince Frederick mission. In 1965, we became an independent parish with 100 families and Father Naughton as our first pastor.
St. John Vianney Parish has progressed from a mission church to a rapidly growing community requiring larger facilities. In 1990, we celebrated our twenty-
PASTORS OF ST. JOHN VIANNEY CHURCH
During its years as a mission, St. John Vianney was served by the parish priests of Our Lady Star of the Sea, Solomons, MD. In 1965, Archbishop O’Boyle appointed Father Joseph Naughton as our first pastor. St. John Vianney was canonically erected as a parish on May 29, 1965. The following priests of the Archdiocese of Washington have served as pastors:
ST. JEAN MARIE BAPTISTE VIANNEY
The son of a small farmer, Jean-
In 1818, Jean-
For more than thirty years, Ars was a place of pilgrimage for people from all over France. They came and waited two or three days to go to confession to the Curé . They went back home with new courage and hope.
Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney was the parish priest of Ars for forty-
1903 Rev. John McNamara was named pastor of St. Francis de Sales, Benedict. He served the areas of Benedict, Solomons, and
1920 Rev. Maurice B. Alexander became the first pastor of Our Lady Star of the Sea, Solomons. He also celebrated Mass in Prince
Frederick until 1938.
1937 The cornerstone was laid for the new church in Prince Frederick under the patronage of St. John Vianney, Patron of Parish Priests.
1938 Mass was celebrated for the first time in the new church.
1965 Archbishop Patrick O’Boyle designated St. John Vianney as a parish and appointed Father Joseph Naughton as first pastor.
1966 Present rectory was purchased.
1979 Parish Center (Vianney Room) was built.
1990 Parishioners observe the 25th Anniversary of the canonical establishment of St. John Vianney Parish.
1993 New wing on Parish Center was built which contains the parish office, classrooms and a library. The entry foyer was capped with a
square cupola to reflect the waterfront areas of our community. It is symbolic of the church’s role in being a guiding light to those
who live in the community.
1995 The adult religious education program, Pathways, began.
1996 Christian Beginnings, the parish pre-
Church along with additions to the Church’s Community Room including a handicapped bathroom and a kitchenette.
1997 A Catholic cemetery was established on the Church grounds. The parish assisted with the establishment of a crisis pregnancy center,
Birthright, and a homeless shelter, ECHO.
|Family Life Center|
|Ladies Club Calendar|
|Men's Club Calendar|
|The Joy of the Gospel|
|Encyclical on Environment|
|Rediscovering The Faith|
|Catechism of the Catholic Church|
|The Holy Ones In Light|
|Interview with Pope Francis|
|Interview with Pope Francis - Spanish|
|Health & Wellness|
|Who Was St John Vianney|
|Parish Staff and Contacts|
|Update My Information|
|Map and Directions|
|Web Page Comments|
|Cub Scout Pack 430|
|Boy Scout Troop 430|
|Fr. Peter J Daly|
|In The News|